HSO Student Internship Program
The HSO Student Internship Program is a structured educational experience for high school string players who are current members of Holland Area Youth Orchestra.
Audition date to be announced. Please call the office for information.
• Student participants must be current members of HAYO. They will no longer be eligible if they leave HAYO.
• Applicants must complete and submit the “Student Internship Application.” Click on the link to apply.
• The student will audition live for the music director and at least one additional HSO string player. The audition would consist of a prepared solo and standard excerpts. The conductor will treat the audition as a “real” audition, working with the student (playing faster, slower, louder, etc.) as in a “real” audition. Excerpts for the audition are available for download above. Simply click on the link of your corresponding instrument and download the file.
• The student must submit a letter of recommendation from a private teacher or orchestra conductor.
• HSO can provide a highly specialized training program for exceptional string players in the West Michigan area.
• Students will be exposed to another conductor, additional orchestral repertoire, and a faster learning cycle than what they experience in HAYO or school orchestra programs.
• Students will learn orchestral skills and process beyond what is often covered in school/youth orchestras
• Students will learn from mentors, stand partners, section leaders, and the conductor.
• Students will gain “real-world” work experiences and interact with a variety of HSO members, which will prepare the students for careers and volunteerism in music and the arts.
• HSO will gain strong string players each year.
Components of the program:
• The student(s) will be classified as “HSO Student Interns,” and will not be considered regular HSO members.
• The student(s) will be asked to participate in the 3 HSO classics concert cycles and others as needed.
• The student(s) will be expected to be present at all rehearsals.
• The student(s) will be expected to prepare HSO music diligently outside of rehearsals, preferably with the help of a private teacher.
• The student(s) will have a mentor within HSO, who will provide feedback, assistance, and training.
• The student(s) will be seated next to players (preferably his/her mentor) who can provide assistance and feedback.
• The student(s) will receive one-on-one feedback from the appropriate section leader(s) and music director.
• The student(s) will receive one lesson per concert cycle with the section leader to cover the concert repertoire, with specific emphasis on orchestral playing techniques.
• The student(s) will be expected to follow all HSO guidelines as outlined in the HSO Musicians’ Handbook.
• Students would be appointed for a 1 year position.Students who wish to participate for more than one season will need to re-audition each year. An individual’s participation in this program could be terminated at any time by the conductor/music director and/or mentor(s).
• The conductor is not required to accept students per year; if there are no students deemed eligible for the program, the positions will remain open.
• At the end of the year, an evaluation will be made by the Education Team and presented to the HSO Board.
• The student(s) will receive $15 per service (rehearsal or concert).
• The student(s) will receive one lesson with the principal or assistant principal of his/her section per classical concert cycle.