An educational partnership between the Holland Symphony Orchestra & Carnegie Hall.
What is Link Up?
• Link up is a program of Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute which partners with local orchestras, schools and communities to explore orchestral repertoire and fundamental musical skills in a year long curriculum.
• Skills learned include singing and playing recorder, listening skills, information about the orchestra and instrument families, creative work and composition.
• All fourth-grade students attend a culminating concert event in the spring where they perform from their seats with the Holland Symphony the music and skills they worked on all year.
• The Link Up curriculum is flexible and can be used alone or with other curriculums. It can also be adjusted to fit any situation, skill level and music class schedule.
The following resource links are available to all participating teachers:
• The Orchestra Rocks! Online Resrouces
• 2021 Orchestra Rocks Teacher Training Presentation
• The Orchestra Map
• "Come to Play" with audio
• Punta Gorda's Meet the Orchestra
• Create Your Own Music - Drag & Drop
• Link Up Teacher Training Recording
• HSO Music Mentor Videos
• How to use Sound Slice
• Carnegie Hall Link Up Facebook page
• Carnegie Hall's Music Educator's Tool Box
• About the Featured Recorder
What does the Link Up program provide?
• A Link Up Curriculum guide for each teacher with accompanying audio and video resources.
• Downloadable Link Up resources for students
• Access to Carnegie Hall’s online resources, including additional lessons and interactive classroom activities
• The culminating interactive concert with the full Holland Symphony
• Teacher recruitment and direct support including a professional development workshop.
The local schools will provide and fund:
• Music teachers or classroom teachers that conduct music classes
• Bus transportation to the concert (grant assistance may be available)
• Time in class and curriculum preparation. The teacher designs their own specific lesson plans.
• Approximately 1 hour of the participating teacher’s time for a mandatory training workshop.
For More Information contact Jayne Gort at 616-886-1344
2018-2019 School Year – The Orchestra Sings
• Click to watch a short video from our 2019 Link Up program: Show highlights video
• Schools participating: Saugatuck Public Schools, Fennville Elementary, Schools, select Zeeland Public Schools, Zeeland Christian, Holland Christian Home School Connections, Holland Public, West Ottawa select schools.
• 18 teachers, 1320 students, 19 schools
2019-2020 School Year – The Orchestra Sings
• Because of COVID state restrictions, our final concert was canceled the week it was scheduled to take place. All of the activities during the year occurred, including music mentor visits to the schools.
• Schools participating: Black River Public School, Fennville Public Schools, Holland Christian Home School, Holland Public Schools, Saugatuck Public Schools, West Ottawa Public Schools, Zeeland Christian and Zeeland Public
• 1767 students, 19 teachers and 24 elementary schools
2020-2021 School Year – The Orchestra Sings
• COVID restrictions continued for the concert venues and the student activities. Many of the schools had remote classrooms or outdoor classrooms. Teachers were creative in how they presented the materials. Our music mentors prepared videos about their instruments and the final concert was a video that incorporated the work the students accomplished
• Final concert video: 2020 Final Concert Video
• School systems participating: Black River School, Fennville Public schools, Hamilton Community Schools, Holland Public Schools, Innocademy, Saugatuck Public Schools, West Ottawa Public Schools, Zeeland Public Schools
• 1766 Students, 20 teachers, 26 elementary schools
• Thank YOU for saying THANK YOU!
The Holland Symphony works with all schools along the West Michigan Lakeshore.
If you are interested in becoming a part of our Link Up experience, please contact Jayne Gort at 616-886-1344 or email@example.com. You can also reach our staff through the office at 616-796-6780 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To register your school, sign up here!
Don't miss the fun!
Link Up 2023!
Get ready...because in 2023...
The Orchestra Moves!
By any definition, music moves. As organized sound, music moves through time. We can perceive music as moving through space from high to low, filling the spaces in between with harmonies, timbres, and textures. Music moves us, evoking a full range of emotional responses, and music compels us to move our bodies and create dance. Through the Link Up repertoire, hands-on activities, and a culminating interactive performance with the Holland Symphony, we will discover all the interwoven ways in which the orchestra moves.
Link Up 2022!
• This past year, students learned and performed the Orchestra Rocks curriculum. In the Orchestra Rocks, the students learned about rhythm, pulse and groove.
• One universal element of music is rhythm. Composers and musicians play with elements of musical time, creating patterns of sound and silence that are expressive and exciting.
• A consistent groove can unite musicians, singers, and audiences in an experience of listening and performing together.
Enjoy the highlights video from our Link Up 2022 performances.
The Holland Symphony thanks the following sponsors for the start up years of the Link Up program. (2018-2021)
The John and Judy Spoelhof Foundation
The Samuel L. Westerman Foundation
The Community Foundation of the Holland/Zeeland Area (3 year grant)
Herman Miller Cares