Link up is a program of Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute which partners with local orchestras, schools and communities to explore orchestral repertoire and fundamental musical skills, including creative work and composition, through a hands-on, year long music curriculum. All fourth grade students will attend a culminating concert event where they will sing and play the recorder with the Holland Symphony from their seats.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Knowledge introduced through Link Up:
- Learn the repertoire presented at the culminating concert.
- Learn the fundamental concepts of music and engage in creative activities through a deeper exploration of the ideas and themes of the Link Up repertoire.
- Become familiar with the different instruments and sections of the orchestra.
- Develop the basics of singing and playing an instrument including breath control, posture, blending, rhythm, and melody.
We will present the “Orchestra Sings” curriculum that explores how composers create great melodies. All curriculum activities are aligned with current national learning standards and Common Core capacities.
The program provides:
- Link Up Curriculum guide for each teacher with accompanying audio and video resources.
- Link Up resources for students
- Professional development resources and webinar for lead teachers and administrators
- Access to Carnegie Hall’s online resources, including additional lessons and interactive classroom activities
- The culminating interactive concert presenting a majority of the Link Up repertoire, featuring an orchestra, conductor, and participating Link Up students.
- Teacher recruitment and direct support including a professional development workshop.
- Program related needs, both artistic and administrative.
The local participating schools will provide and fund:
- Music teachers or classroom teachers that conduct music classes
- Bus transportation to the concert (grant assistance is available)
- Time in class and curriculum preparation. The teacher designs their own specific lesson plans.
- Approximately 1 hour of the participating teacher’s time for a mandatory training workshop.
Contacts for more information:
- Jayne Gort, HSO Link Up Coordinator: 616-886-1344
- Carnegie Hall Link Up web site: https://www.carnegiehall.org/Education/Educators/Link-Up/National-Program/The-Orchestra-Sings
- Carnegie Hall Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/216358708470341/
Want to know more? More information and resources below:
Highlights from our first Link Up concerts which took place in March of 2019.